UNM women Finish sixth in 12-team Invitational Field
The University of New Mexico women’s golf team finished its season-opener in sixth place out of a highly-competitive 12-team field on Tuesday at the Lamkin Invitational hosted by San Diego State.
Sophomore Napat “Jenny” Lertsadwattana placed fourth overall to lead UNM through three rounds.
Lertsadwattana registered a career-best fourth-place finish on the week. She shot a 73 in round one and shaved three strokes off in round two (70, -2), which she squeezed in just before dark on Monday night. In Tuesday’s third round, she shot a 76 for a three-round total of 219 (+3).
She finished just five strokes behind the tournament’s winner and four strokes out of a tie for second place.
USC clamed the crown Tuesday finishing +16 while its own Allisen Corpuz took the individual title with a final score of 214 (-2). TCU, which entered the tournament ranked No. 22 in the nation, finished tied for second with UCLA (904, +40), followed by Colorado and San Diego State which tied for fourth with a score of 910 (+46).
The Lobos finished just behind their Mountain West rival with a final score of 929 (+65).
Senior Caroline Jansson finished tied for 29th overall with a final score of 233 (+17). She posted a trio of birdies in round three and was followed by sophomore Chloé Lauer and freshman Myah McDonald who tied for 38th with a score of 240 (+24).
McDonald in her collegiate opener shot an 82 in round one before finishing the tournament with two straight rounds carding a 79.
After a rough start in the first two rounds, junior Kamie Hamada cut 17 strokes off of her round two score to finish strong with a score of 77 (+5) in round three.
The Lobos are scheduled to return to action Feb. 15-16 when they travel to Las Vegas, Nev., at the Rebel Beach Invitational hosted by UNLV and Long Beach State. For full results of the Lamkin Invitational, click here
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- Lobos Win Women's Golf… 2018-2019 Lobo Squad Posts Highest Team GPA in its History Five members of the UNM Lobo Women's Golf Team have been named 2018-19 Women's Golf…
- Lobos' Sam Choi Named… Selection Recognizes Choi's Outstanding Season Sophomore Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico men's golf team has been named to the prestigious 2020 Arnold…
- Paa-Ko Stays Atop… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) April 4, 2011 --Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club remains New Mexico's top course you can play, says GolfWeek. Black Mesa, Piñon Hills, Twin Warriors…
- Local Golfers Bunched… NM Open at Paradise Hills Tees off with Fair Skies, Light Winds Three players tied for the lead after Day One at the Paradise Hills…
- Lobos' Sam Choi Named… Another Victory Lap by Sophomore Sam Choi Sophomore Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico Lobo men's golf team has been named to the…