Patrick McCarthy Wins Second Straight City Mens Championship
Patrick McCarthy shot a bogey-free 2-under-par-70 in the closing round post an easy five-shot victory for his second straight title in the Greater Albuquerque City Mens Championship.
James Gehrke closed with a 69 and Chandler Smith-Stetson had a 70 to tie for second and 11 under in the 54-hole event.
“It was a lot different this year,” said McCarthy, a 20-year-old graduate of St. Pius High who will be a junior at Missouri Western State in the fall. “I just played steady and solid and was able to protect the lead. I didn’t really think about how anyone else on the course was doing.
“I think winning last year really helped. But I was glad I didn’t need another finish like that to win”.
Last year, McCarthy drained a 20-foot birdie putt on the final hole for a one-shot victory in the City Mens Championship over two others. This year, he led from the start, shooting a 6-under-par 66 in Friday’s opening round at Ladera and firing a 7-under-65 on Saturday at Los Altos to take a five-shot lead into the final round.
Gehrke, playing one group in front of McCarthy, entered the final round seven shots back but closed to within three after a 33 on the front nine on Sunday,
“But I started to struggle a little bit on the back nine, and missed three straight greens. I got up-and-down on all three, but could never make a run.” said Gehrke, 29.
McCarthy, who won three college tournaments this past season, has worked at Arroyo del Oso for seven years. The event’s Mark “Ticky” Smith Trophy — engraved with winner of every tournament since it was first held in 1941 — was moved from Los Altos to Arroyo after McCarthy’s victory last year.
“I don’t know,” McCarthy said with a grin, when asked if the trophy will remain at Arroyo. “I sure hope so. It’s a great feeling to see it there, and to see all the names on it.”
Steven A. Tapia won the President’s flight with a three-day total of 6-over, two shots better than Dominic J. Sanchez.
Scott Belonge won the Senior Championship Flight, finishing at 7-under, four shots better than Ray Byrne.
Wayne Luco and Clark Sonnenberg won their respective net flights.
|DNF||Brockhoft Flores, Levi||–||80||75||DNF|
- Yellin, McCarthy Win ABQ US… Greg Yellin of El Paso and Patrick McCarthy of the Duke City won spots in the US Amateur at the USGA’s US Amateur Local Qualifier…
- City Championship Set for June… Mens City Golf Championship Played on 3 City Courses Registration is now open for the 77th Greater Albuquerque Mens City Golf Championship. The Mens City…
- UNM Lobo Takes City Men's Golf… A pair of clutch putts by Ross Sinclair at the end salvaged Ross the Greater Albuquerque City Men's Golf Championship for him on Sunday.
- Albuquerque City Men's Golf… Event Usually Played on July 4th Weekend Delayed Weeks by COVID-19 The 2020 Greater Albuquerque Men's City Golf Championship will be played Aug. 21-23, starting…
- Simon Miller Wins 2019 ABQ… Dreamed of Winning the Event Since Age 14 Simon Miller, a 26-year-old state budget analyst, pulled away from the field to take the 2019 Greater…