Company Also Will Sponsor the 2023 U.S> Senior Open
Sentry Insurance has signed a five-year deal with the USGA to become the presenting sponsor of the GHIN handicap system, the network behind handicap computers found in most golf shops and clubhouses across the United States.
The GHIN community in the USA comprises more than 2 million golfers who are linked through 55 USGA Allied Golf Associations, the GHIN mobile app, GHIN kiosks located in most golf shops, and GHIN.com.
Sentry becomes the sixth long-term corporate partner of the USGA in a program to promote recreational golf worldwide.
The company has had a commitment to golf since the early 1980s, when it built SentryWorld, the company’s golf and recreational complex to serve its home community. Sentrworld will be the host for the USGA’s 2023 Senior U.S. Open.
“We don’t just love golf at Sentry, it’s an integral part of who we are and how we’ve done business for decades,” said Pete McPartland, Sentry chairman of the board, president and CEO.
GHIN System Was Developed by USGA in 1981
“We believe that there’s no better environment for building and strengthening relationships than on the golf course,” he said.
Mike Davis, CEO of the USGA, said, “Partners like Sentry are helping us to empower the broader golf community with the innovation that it needs to bring more people to the game and to keep them engaged.”
“Advancing these tools plays a vital role in how the business of golf operates at local courses across America,” Davis said.
The USGA first developed the GHIN network in 1981 to relieve the burden placed on clubs and golf associations to manage golfer handicap data on their own.
Sentry and its subsidiaries sell property and casualty insurance, life insurance, annuities and retirement programs for business and individuals. Sentry employs more than 4,300 associates in 41 states.
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- What the World… New Way to Calculate Handicaps Takes Effect Next Month How the World Handicap System Differs from the USGA's GHIN System The World Handicap System, a…
- Twin Warriors Tourney… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Feb. 11, 2011 -- The Twin Warriors Golf Club tournament series features 10 events for 2011, six of them on weekends, plus reduced…
- Guy Wimberly Recalls… Guy Wimberly, 'Mr. New Mexico Golf,' Had a Knack for Recounting History It was in the mid-1970s, maybe 1975 or 1976. The New Mexico States…
- One-Arm Golfer Perseveres 'Golf is something you can always get better at' Bobby Baca was so close. The one-arm golfer got his handicap index down to 7.1 in…
- $1,800 UNM Annual… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Dec. 14, 2011 – The University of New Mexico Championship Golf Course’s “everything-included” unlimited-play membership is back for 2012. The $1,800 annual membership…