Sophomore Albert Boneta of The University of New Mexico men’s golf team earned his first collegiate victory Saturday at the Thunderbird Collegiate after a career-best final score of 12-under.
Albert Boneta, of Barcelona, Spain, led the Lobos with a final score of 201, finishing in a three-way tie with Ludvig Aberg of Texas Tech and Blake Tomlinson of Utah at Papago Golf Course in Phoenix.
The sophomore led the Lobos to eighth place in a competitive field that featured eight teams ranked in the top 35 in the nation. UNM finished with a final score of 17-under at 835 which was just six strokes out of fifth place.
Complete results are here.
Boneta entered Saturday with just a hole left to play in round two and tied for ninth place overall. He finished the final hole with a par. Starting Round 3 on No. 10, he came out of the back nine even. It was on the front nine that he made up ground with five birdies to finish at 5-under in the final round.
Junior Sam Choi was the second-highest Lobo on the leaderboard and finished in the top 20 of the field. Choi tied for 16th overall with a final score of 207 (6-under) after posting a 69 in round one, a 67 in round two and a 71 in round three.
Freshmen Bastien Amat and Matthew Watkins tied with a score of 215 (2-over). Both shot a 69 in the third round to make up some ground.
Watkins also registered UNM’s only eagle on the tournament, No. 1 in the third round. It marks the first of his career. The Thunderbird was his collegiate debut.
Junior Brandon Shong rounded out the Lobo scoring effort with a 73 in the final round after shooting a 72 and 75 on Days 1 and 2.
New Mexico has just one regular-season event left before taking on the 2021 Mountain West Tournament. Before that, they’ll head to the PING Cougar Classic on April 23-24 hosted by BYU at the Riverside Country Club in Provo, Utah.
By New Mexico Golf News staff
Featured image: Albert Boneta, UNM Athletics
- Lobos Tee off Monday in NCAA… Power-packed Field in Albuquerque NCAA Regional Includes No. 1 Oklahoma The UNM Lobo Men's Golf Team tees off in the NCAA Regional seeded fifth in…
- Lobo Men Tie for 8th in San… Sam Choi, Ross Sinclair Lead the Lobo Squad The University of New Mexico Lobo men finished tied for eighth in the Lamkin San Diego Classic…
- Golf in New Mexico: UNM Lobos… UNM women Finish sixth in 12-team Invitational Field The University of New Mexico women’s golf team finished its season-opener in sixth place out of a…
- No. 22 UNM Lobo Men's Golf… Lobo Women Competing in Wildcat Invitational in Tucson The UNM Lobo men golfers, ranked No. 22 in the nation by GolfStat, was playing in the…
- Lobos' Sam Choi Named NCAA… Another Victory Lap by Sophomore Sam Choi Sophomore Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico Lobo men's golf team has been named to the…