Only Player Under Par at US Senior Amateur Qualifier
Perennial Sun Country golf contender Greg Condon captured the Albuquerque US Senior Amateur Qualifier Monday, shooting a 3-under 69 at Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club in Sandia Park.
Condon has been on the edge of a break-though for weeks, with top five finishes in the local U.S. Amateur Qualifier and the Sun Country Amateur Golf Association's New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship in Las Cruces, plus a top-10 finish in the Albuquerque local U.S. Open qualifier.
On Monday, he finished six strokes ahead of Jack Slayton of Albuquerque, who will be first alternate. Mike Lohner of Southlake,Texas, is the second alternate.
Condon, of Monte Vista, Colo., joins 155 other competitors in the U.S. Senior Amateur, to be held at the Eugene (Ore.) Country Club Aug. 25-30. Twenty-one players competed in the U.S. Senior Amateur qualifier at Paa-Ko Ridge. Full results from the Paa-Ko Ridge US Senior Amateur Qualifier are on the SCAGA website.
In Other Golf News
Jacquelyn Galloway of Rio Rancho and Aidan Thomas of Bernalillo missed the cut over the weekend at the U.S. Junior Girls Championship and the U.S. Junior Championship respectively.
Galloway shot 81-81 for a two-day total of 162, 11 shots below the cut line. The Junior Girls Championship was held July 16-21 at Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach, Calif.
The winner was Yealimi Noh of Concord, Calif., who shot 66-70 for a two-day total of 136 in the stroke-play portion of the event before advancing to the final round of match play to defeat Alexa Pano of Lake Worth, Fla., 4-and-3.
A week earlier, Noh won the Girls Junior PGA Championship in Lexington, Ken., with a record-24-under total of 264
For Galloway, an 18-year-old senior-to-be at Cleveland High School, it was the second of three major junior tournaments in three weeks. Immediately after leaving Poppy Hills, Galloway headed to the Girls Junior Americas Cup, a 54-hole team event that starts Wednesday at Hiwan Golf Club in Evergreen, Colo.
The New Mexico/Sun Country Girls Junior Americas Cup team comprises Galloway, Alexis Escobedo of Amarillo, Texas; Presley Jackson of Deming and Jessica Osden of Los Alamos.
Thomas of St. Pius X High School, won the boys' 5A individual state golf championship in May. At the USGA's Junior Amateur, Thomas shot a 14-over 155 (77-78) seven shots below the cut line. The competition was held at Balturol Golf Club in Springfield, N.J.
Green Makes British Open Cut
UNM Lobo golfer Galven Green played the weekend of the British Open at Carnoustie Golf Links, finishing T61 with a four-day total of 290 (72-73-71-74). Green is a native of Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
Green was a Lobo freshman during the 2017-2018 season. The purse for a T61 at the British Open was $25,317, should Green turn pro and forego further NCAA eligibility. An email Monday to UNM Golf Coach Glen Millican seeking to clarify his status was not immediately returned.
Madigan Finishes 5th in Canada
Tim Madigan of Las Cruces, who plays on the MacKenzie Canada Tour, finished fifth on Sunday in the Osprey Valley Open near Toronto, shooting 19-under for a four-day total of 269 (64-70-67-68). He finished six strokes behind the leader, Tyler McCumber of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
- Condon Falls in US… Bogey on 18 Lets Opponent Back into Match Sun Country's Greg Condon of Monte Vita, Col., was defeated on the 19th hole in the round…
- ABQ Qualifier Leads US… Colorado Player Has Rio Rancho Family Ties US Senior Amateur Day 1 Leader Hot in 2018 NM Competition Day 2 Update: Greg Condon posted an…
- Condon Wins 3rd SCAGA Title Fifty-seven-year-old Greg Condon of Monte Vista, Col., won the 2019 New Mexico- West Texas Amateur Sunday at Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club. It was his third…
- Condon Eliminated in… ABQ Qualifier Goes Home Early from US Senior Amateur Jack Slayton of ABQ Loses First Match in 19 Holes Updated: Greg COndon was eliminated Tuesday…
- New Mexico-West Texas… The Sun Country Amateur Golf Association starts the 2020 competitive golf season with its most prestigious event, the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship. The 44th…