UNM women Finish sixth in 12-team Invitational Field
The University of New Mexico women’s golf team finished its season-opener in sixth place out of a highly-competitive 12-team field on Tuesday at the Lamkin Invitational hosted by San Diego State.
Sophomore Napat “Jenny” Lertsadwattana placed fourth overall to lead UNM through three rounds.
Lertsadwattana registered a career-best fourth-place finish on the week. She shot a 73 in round one and shaved three strokes off in round two (70, -2), which she squeezed in just before dark on Monday night. In Tuesday’s third round, she shot a 76 for a three-round total of 219 (+3).
She finished just five strokes behind the tournament’s winner and four strokes out of a tie for second place.
USC clamed the crown Tuesday finishing +16 while its own Allisen Corpuz took the individual title with a final score of 214 (-2). TCU, which entered the tournament ranked No. 22 in the nation, finished tied for second with UCLA (904, +40), followed by Colorado and San Diego State which tied for fourth with a score of 910 (+46).
The Lobos finished just behind their Mountain West rival with a final score of 929 (+65).
Senior Caroline Jansson finished tied for 29th overall with a final score of 233 (+17). She posted a trio of birdies in round three and was followed by sophomore Chloé Lauer and freshman Myah McDonald who tied for 38th with a score of 240 (+24).
McDonald in her collegiate opener shot an 82 in round one before finishing the tournament with two straight rounds carding a 79.
After a rough start in the first two rounds, junior Kamie Hamada cut 17 strokes off of her round two score to finish strong with a score of 77 (+5) in round three.
The Lobos are scheduled to return to action Feb. 15-16 when they travel to Las Vegas, Nev., at the Rebel Beach Invitational hosted by UNLV and Long Beach State. For full results of the Lamkin Invitational, click here
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- UNM Lobo Women Finish… Lertsadwattana Paces Lobo for a T21 Finish Individually The UNM Lobo Women Golf Team finished the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson in eighth place, 46 strokes…
- No. 22 UNM Lobo Men's… Lobo Women Competing in Wildcat Invitational in Tucson The UNM Lobo men golfers, ranked No. 22 in the nation by GolfStat, was playing in the…
- Lobo Women Take… Ninth Lobo Conference Title is a Conference Record The University of New Mexico Lobo women's golf team came from behind during the third round to…
- Lobo Sam Choi Selected… Plus: Updates on Lobo Men's, Women's 2021 Seasons; Honors to Jill Trujillo, Myah McDonald Lobo Junior Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico men’s…
- Lobo Men Tie for 8th… Sam Choi, Ross Sinclair Lead the Lobo Squad The University of New Mexico Lobo men finished tied for eighth in the Lamkin San Diego Classic…