(ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Nov. 14, 2011 — When a reader from Chicago asked GOLF magazine's Travelin' Joe Passov whether Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail or New Mexico should get the nod for their buddies golf trip, New Mexico appeared to win in a split decision.
It wasn't an outright K.O., because Joe tagged his Nov. 11 “Ask Travelin' Joe” video piece at Golf.com with the conclusion that New Mexico and the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail are “both stellar.”
The RTJ Golf Trail has more depth after you've played your second, third or fourth course there, he cautioned, then countered, saying, Black Mesa Golf Club and Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club are top choices.
“We're splitting hairs here,” he said. But at the end of his video clip, the famed golf-travel writer may have signaled his personal preference, saying the variety of terrain New Mexico offers and its dryness may make it the choice for a bunch of guys from Chicago.
“Black Mesa and Paa-Ko Ridge are the best of the bunch,” Passov said. Their websites are Black Mesa Golf Club and Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club.
— Dan Vukelich
John Daly hit seven balls in the water at the Australian Open and walked off the course.
Speaking at a Pro-Am in Melbourne on Monday, Daly said, ”of course I regret it. But at the time there wasn't much I could do,” Fox Sports reported.
An Australasian tour panel was expected to discuss possible disciplinary action this week. Tournament director Trevor Herden described Daly's actions as ”unprofessional,” saying officials would have fetched more golf balls if asked.
- Nicklaus' Proposed… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) March 14, 2011 -- Opinion: Step away from the drafting table and put the pencil down -- slowly. That means you, Jack Nicklaus.…
- Sandia Snags Top U.S.… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Sept. 2, 2011 -- GOLF magazine has named Sandia Golf Club's on-course beverage and snack cart best in the nation in its October…
- Butterfield Trail… Tom Fazio Design to Close by the End of May COVID-19 has claimed a casualty in Sun Country - the Butterfield Trail Golf Course in…
- Southwestern Amateur… (EL PASO, Texas) Jan. 20, 2011 -- The Southwestern Amateur will be played at Butterfield Trail this year. More.
- Two Sun Country… (ORLANDO) May 12, 2011 -- Two Sun Country region golf courses have made it to the top five of GolfWeek's "Best Municipal Courses" list for…