Sam Choi, Ross Sinclair Lead the Lobo Squad
The University of New Mexico Lobo men finished tied for eighth in the Lamkin San Diego Classic this week. The top eight spots were separated by just a few strokes as the Lobos finished just nine strokes out of second place.
UCLA claimed the win finishing 4-over (868) while Nevada at 10-over, Washington at 11-over, San Diego at 12-over and Colorado State at 13-over were each separated by just one stroke. No. 26 Kansas finished 17-over followed by BYU at 18-over and USC and New Mexico at 19-over.
The 54-hole event was held at San Diego Country Club in occasionally chilly and breezy conditions.
The Lobo men were led by junior Sam Choi who was 1-over on the tournament after posting scores of 68, 75 and 74. Redshirt-senior Ross Sinclair was the next-highest Lobo on the leaderboard, finishing 6-over with scores of 74, 72 and 76 over three rounds.
Sinclair led the tournament in pars with 37, tying with two others. Choi collected 34 pars.
Freshman Bastien Amat was just behind with one more stroke (7-over). He went 74, 75 and 74 in his first collegiate tournament as a member of the lineup. Amat ranked in the top 25 in most birdies, registering a team-most ten.
Full results are here.
Lobo Men Head Next to Austin for George Hannon Invitational
Sophomore Albert Boneta chopped six strokes off of his round-two score to post a 74 in round two. He tied for 62nd (227, 11-over) and was also the only Lobo to register an eagle in the competition, which he posted on the par-5 14th hole.
Junior Brandon Shong rounded out the Lobo five with an 84 in round three to finish 20-over for the evention.
The Lobos are scheduled to return to action March 15-16 at the George Hannon Invitational hosted by UT Austin in Austin, Texas.
Featured image, Ross Sinclair, courtesy Lobo Athletics
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- No. 22 UNM Lobo Men's… Lobo Women Competing in Wildcat Invitational in Tucson The UNM Lobo men golfers, ranked No. 22 in the nation by GolfStat, was playing in the…
- Golf in New Mexico:… UNM women Finish sixth in 12-team Invitational Field The University of New Mexico women’s golf team finished its season-opener in sixth place out of a…
- UNM Lobo Women Finish… Lertsadwattana Paces Lobo for a T21 Finish Individually The UNM Lobo Women Golf Team finished the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson in eighth place, 46 strokes…
- Lobo Women Take… Ninth Lobo Conference Title is a Conference Record The University of New Mexico Lobo women's golf team came from behind during the third round to…
- Lobo Sam Choi Selected… Plus: Updates on Lobo Men's, Women's 2021 Seasons; Honors to Jill Trujillo, Myah McDonald Lobo Junior Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico men’s…