Power-packed Field in Albuquerque NCAA Regional Includes No. 1 Oklahoma
The UNM Lobo Men's Golf Team tees off in the NCAA Regional seeded fifth in a 15-team field on their home course, the University of New Mexico Championship Golf Course.
In the field is No. 1-ranked Oklahoma, No. 12 Arizona State, No. 14 Texas A&M, No. 22 Texas Tech and No. 31 Stanford. The Lobos, ranked 29th, tee off at 8 a.m. on No. 10.
Fans are allowed on the course provided they follow COVID-9 protocols, a spokeswoman for the Lobos said in a news release.
UNM South, as it's known to locals, will play 7,555 yards for the 54-hole event. Five teams will advance to the NCAA Championship.
Also in the field are Oregon State, Boise State, South Carolina, Nevada, San Diego, New Mexico State, Oakland and Prairie View A&M, along with individuals from Fresno State, Colorado, St. Mary’s and LMU.
The New Mexico lineup will consist of junior Sam Choi, who is currently ranked No. 23 in the nation as an individual, sophomore Albert Boneta, 2021 Mountain West Freshman of the Year Bastien Amat, freshman Matthew Watkins and junior Brandon Shong. Junior Ignacio Arcaya is the Lobos’ alternate competitor.
Choi, named to the All-Mountain West team this season, helped lead the Lobos in five out of seven tournaments in 2021. He finished tied for first at the 2021 Mountain West Championship and leads UNM with a 70.52 scoring average and a low round of 66 on the season.
Boneta, also named All-Mountain West this season, had a standout season as he claimed his first collegiate victory at the Thunderbird Collegiate in April. He tied for first overall coming in at 12-under par.
Boneta led UNM in two tournaments this season after tying Choi for fifth at the Lobos’ opening tournament in Arizona. The sophomore ranks second on the team in scoring average, 71.33, and has posted a team-low round of 65 twice this season.
By New Mexico Golf News Staff
- Lobo Sam Choi Selected… Plus: Updates on Lobo Men's, Women's 2021 Seasons; Honors to Jill Trujillo, Myah McDonald Lobo Junior Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico men’s…
- UNM Men Win MWC Golf Title Sean Carlon, Indy Winner Galven Green Lead Lobos to NCAA Championship Berth Conference Win is Lobos' 7th The University of New Mexico Lobo men's golf…
- No. 22 UNM Lobo Men's… Lobo Women Competing in Wildcat Invitational in Tucson The UNM Lobo men golfers, ranked No. 22 in the nation by GolfStat, was playing in the…
- Lobos' Sam Choi Named… Another Victory Lap by Sophomore Sam Choi Sophomore Sam Choi of The University of New Mexico Lobo men's golf team has been named to the…
- Golf in New Mexico:… UNM women Finish sixth in 12-team Invitational Field The University of New Mexico women’s golf team finished its season-opener in sixth place out of a…