It's Her Second New Mexico-West Texas Womens Amateur Championship
Emma Mesta-Garcia won her second consecutive New Mexico-West Texas Womens Amateur Championship, shooting 78-74-80 for a three-day total of 16-over.
Mesta-Garcia, of Ruidoso, won by one stroke over Shanelle Tafoya of Santo Domingo Pueblo and Ashlee Garrett of Albuquerque, who tied for second.
Chanet Fiorina of Santa Fe finished fourth at 21-over.
In a one-hole playoff, Tafoya won the Albuquerque Women's Golf Championship title. That competition, open to players in the Great Albuquerque Metro area, was held at the same time. Both events were held at Santa Ana Golf Club July 14-16.
Alexandra Michelena won the First Flight of the New Mexico-West Texas Womens Amateur Championship with a three-day score of 10-under.
Chris Tauscher won the Second Flight, finishing at 14-under. Finishing at 19-under, Patty Jojola won the Third Flight. Monique Jeneski won the Fourth Flight, Page Diamond won the Fifth Flight, and Sue Chambers won the Sixth Flight.
Jane Kim and Cindy Hill won the two-day Super Senior (65+) Gross Flights One and Two, respectively.
Marilyn Burrows and Cindy Hill won the two-day Super Senior Net Flights One and Two, respectively.
Other Golf News
Rio Rancho's Jacquelyn Galloway finished 63rd in the four-day Girls Junior PGA Championship at Kearney Hills Golf Links in Lexington, Ken. She shot 71-75-74-77. The event was July 9-12.
Galloway was competing in the USGA's Girls Junior Championship, being held at Poppy Hills Golf Course at Pebble Beach, Calif., which started Monday. She was T128 at 10-over. Day 2 play was delayed because of visibility problems on the course.
Galloway is in the middle stretch of a three-week competition schedule. The soon-to-be Cleveland High School senior goes from Poppy Hills to the Girls Junior Americas Cup, a 54-hole team event that starts on July 23 at Hiwan Golf Club in Evergreen, Colo.
Here's the full leaderboard of the Championship Flight of the New Mexico-West Texas Womens Championship:
- Naomi Ramirez Wins… UTEP Freshman Rallies Late to Avoid Collapse, Hold Off Challengers Surette Takes Women's City Championship Nineteen-year-old UTEP freshman Naomi Ramirez survived a rocky final round…
- Day 2: New Mexico-West… Five Strokes Separate the Top Six Players Former NMSU Aggie golfer Ryo Harada leads the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship going into Sunday's final round…
- Day 1: New Mexico-West… First Round at the Horizon Club Largely an All-El Paso Affair Michael Salazar of El Paso was the leader after Day 1 of the New…
- New Mexico-West Texas… The Sun Country Amateur Golf Association starts the 2020 competitive golf season with its most prestigious event, the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship. The 44th…
- Salazar Wins New… El Pasoan Posts a blistering 5-under on the Back Nine Michael Salazar of El Paso won the 2020 New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship Sunday afternoon…