Picacho Hills Country Club in Las Cruces, New Mexico has been sold to Spirit Golf Management Southwest. The new owners take over from Don and Louis Biad who have run the golf course for decades.
The Golf Course
Picacho Hills is a private golf course that has homes surrounding the property. With a strong membership base, the course has been operating since the 1970s.
The membership base is what attracted Spirit Golf Management Southwest. The course measures around 7,000 yards from the tips and is a challenge to all levels of golfers. Picacho Hills is known for its lush Bluegrass fairways and Bentgrass greens.
About Spirit Golf Management Southwest
The company has plans for improvements for the property and believes there are brighter times ahead for Picacho Hills Country Club.
This is not the only course that Spirit Golf Management Southwest owns or operates in the Southwest.
The private golf course management company holds long-term management contracts on two other municipally owned courses in the region: Butterfield Trail Golf Course in El Paso, Texas and Sierra Del Rio Golf Course in Elephant Butte, New Mexico.
Both were on the ropes when Spirit Golf Management Southwest stepped in. The Tom Fazio-designed Butterfield Trail was closed by the City of El Paso in April.
Picacho Hills Country Club: Among the Best Golf Courses in Las Cruces, New Mexico
The company, which has managed Picacho Hills since March 2019 had planned on finalizing the sale in the summer of that year but had problems securing a new liquor license, which slowed the deal. Then the Covid-19 pandemic hit. The sale finally closed in September.
The liquor license was a condition for the sale, which will allow weddings and banquets to be booked once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted by the governor. Spirit Golf Management Southwest plans to use the club for community events and needed the liquor license to make that happen.
Picacho Hills Country Club is more than just a golf course.
The facilities also have a driving range, pickleball and tennis courts and there is a restaurant and bar. Spirit Golf Management Southwest also has plans to build an events center on the location of the old pool and will be putting in a new pool elsewhere on the property. There are also plans for redoing some of the tennis courts.
The partners are waiting until the pandemic is over to reach out the members to see what their priorities are. They also want to reach out to the community and start to capture new members.
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- Sierra del Rio,… New Company Runs Elephant Butte and Las Cruces Golf Courses Picacho Hills Country Club, a golf course in Las Cruces, and a Sierra del Rio,…
- Four Hills Offers… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Jan. 5, 2012 -- Tracey Fine of Four Hills Country Club noticed our take on which country club Lobo Head Football Coach Bob…
- ABQ's Four Hills CC… FHCC Returning from the Brink Elsewhere: Isleta's GPS, Blake Consults at Cochiti (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) May 11, 2012 -- Four Hills Country Club has sold a…
- Lobos' Davie to Get… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Dec. 2, 2011 -- Bob Davie, the University of New Mexico's new football coach, will get a country-club membership has part of his…
- Sold: Desert Greens… Sale of Golf Course Closed on Feb. 14 Desert Greens Golf Course in Paradise Hills has a new owner. John Bailey, president of Yukon &…