Piedra Vista High School Player Signed an Incorrect Scorecard Last Year
Team Notches Win at Shootout in the Desert in Run-up to State
The win by the Piedra Vista High School boys golf team at the “Shootout in the Desert” high school invitational at the Canyon Club at Four Hills last week sets the stage for them to redeem themselves at state on May 7.
At the state championship in Roswell last year, a wrongly signed scorecard cost the Piedra Vista High School golf team the 6A state golf title.
But the Piedra Vista High School golf team's 24-shot win over Los Alamos High School at the Shootout in the Desert invitational has the Panthers in the right mindset with a little over a week to go before the New Mexico state championships on May 7.
The Shootout in the Desert, an invitational of the state's best golf teams in several classifications that was organized by the Sun Country Golf House, an alliance between the Sun Country Amateur Golf Association and the Sun Country PGA Section.
:Here's an excerpt from a piece on Piedra Vista that New Mexico Activities Association staffer, JP Murrieta, former lead sports anchor for KOB-TV, posted to the NMAA website during the April 23 event:
“It’s been on our goal list since the bus ride home from Roswell,” said head coach Tom Yost.
It was long bus ride home to Farmington after last year’s state tournament. Piedra Vista would have been the 6A state champ, but one of their players signed an incorrect scorecard and the blue trophy went to Cleveland.
“That one hurt so we really, really want to get it this year,” said junior Tyler Diehl.
At the Shootout in the Desert, Diehl finished T2 with his brother Trey in the boys' individual championship with a 3-over 75, seven shots behind the individual winner, Bowen Davis of Manzano High School.
The May 7 boys and girls state championships will be held on three courses: Pinon Hills Golf Course in Farmington (6A); Rockwind Community Links in Hobbs (5A); and the Canyon Club at Four Hills in Albuquerque (A-4A).
- Gillihan, Galloway Win… Piedra Vista, La Cueva Claim 6A Team Titles 2018 New Mexico State Golf Championship Contested on Three Courses Nolan Gillihan of Las Cruces' Centennial High…
- Galloway, Davis Win NM… Canyon Club Event a Preview of State Championship Shootout in the Desert Brings Together Top NM High School Teams Cleveland High School won the girls'…
- Diehl, Galloway Win… Piedra Vista Boys Repeat for Boys Team Title El Paso's Eastwood HS Takes Girls Team Title Boys from Piedra Vista High School in Farmington won…
- Shootout in the Desert Set Top High School Golfers to Compete at Canyon Club Preview of May 7-8 N.M. State Golf Championships The top high school golf teams from across…
- Cibola Golfer Wins NM… Zamarripa of Sandia Upsets Favored Jacque Galloway for Girls Crown Aiden Kraft of Cibola High School won the 5A boys NM golf championship Tuesday and…