Trey Diehl of Farmington is Low Amateur
Zakhai Brown won the San Juan Open, posting a 16-under over four days, besting three other players by three strokes.
Nick Mason, Jesse Mueller and Spencer Painton finished T2 at 268 on the par 71 San Juan Country Club. The event was played June 17-22.
Low amateur was Trey Diehl who finished 1-under, seven shots ahead of his brother Tyler. Corey Gillespie finished third at 10-over.
Full results are here.
This year's event was the 55th edition of the San Juan Open in Farmington. Notables in the professional field included Albuquerque's D.J. Brigman, who finished T11, and Isaac Merry of Las Cruces, the Sun Country Amateur Golf Association's 2018 New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship, who finished T9..
Brown, who turned professional in 2012 and plays on the Korn Ferry Tour, finished fourth in last year's event, started making putts on the final day to pull away from the field, includinglong birdie putts on Nos. 7 and 10 and a 25-foot eagle putt on No. 14. He had started the day four strokes back.
. “I looked back at the leaderboard and the group behind me, and I'm like ‘wow, I'm only a couple (points) back.' It kept me going,” the 28-year-old Colorado State University graduate told the Farmington Daily Times.
St. Pius Grad Wins National HS Invitational
In other news, Aidan Thomas of St. Pius High School won the National High School Invitational at World Disney World Golf Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. The event was held June 27-28.
Thomas, who has committed to play for New Mexico State University next fall, finished 9-under in the two-day event, one stroke ahead of James Imai of Brookline High School in Massachusetts.
- Cibola Golfer Wins NM… Zamarripa of Sandia Upsets Favored Jacque Galloway for Girls Crown Aiden Kraft of Cibola High School won the 5A boys NM golf championship Tuesday and…
- Piedra Vista Golfers… Piedra Vista High School Player Signed an Incorrect Scorecard Last Year Team Notches Win at Shootout in the Desert in Run-up to State The win…
- Three Qualify at UNM… All Three Qualifiers Have ABQ Ties A Lobo, a former Lobo and a former Albuquerque Academy Charger locked up the three available spots at the…
- Diehl, Galloway Win… Piedra Vista Boys Repeat for Boys Team Title El Paso's Eastwood HS Takes Girls Team Title Boys from Piedra Vista High School in Farmington won…
- Galloway, Davis Win NM… Canyon Club Event a Preview of State Championship Shootout in the Desert Brings Together Top NM High School Teams Cleveland High School won the girls'…