Mesa, Ariz., Golfer Takes Home $14,000 Winner’s Check
Tim Madigan Finishes T3 in Swan Song
(This story was updated to include final results)
Entering the final round of the Paradise Hills New Mexico Open, news broke that former champion Tim Madigan is quitting professional golf after today’s event.
Madigan, 30, who has competed on the eGolf, Web.com and Mackenzie Canadian tours for eight years, told the Albuquerque Journal he is making a career change and is in talks with his alma mater, New Mexico State University, to become a development officer.
“It’s very bittersweet having my dad carry my bags one last time. I really want to win it for my mom and dad,” he told the Journal. His father, Steve, caddied for him throughout his junior golf years and during Q Schools at the various tours.
Last December, Madigan won limited status on the Web.com Tour – now the Korn Ferry Tour – but he is currently ranked 106th on that tour with $51,325 in winnings. His best finish was a T7 in the Savannah Golf Championship in late March.
The Rio Rancho High School graduate who now lives in Las Cruces, entered Day T6 at 7-under and finished T3 at 9-under with last year’s winner, Sam Saunders of Albuquerque. Both took home $2,840
Edward Olson of Aptos, Calif., who led the field by two strokes at 12-under, after Day 2, finished T2 at 11-under with Mark Baldwin of Mesa. Blake Cannon of Mesa, Ariz., shot 68-62-67 to finish at 13-under. His Day 2 score tied the course record.
Among other Sun Country region players playing in the final round:
- Los Altos teaching pro David Muttitt finished T-11 at 8-under.
- Former Lobo Wil Collins was T14 at 7-under.
- Former Lobo Sean Carlon was T21 at 4-under.
- Former New Mexico Open champion and Golf Channel commentator Notah Begay III, who made the cut on the number at T50, finished T35 at 1-over.
Final results can be found here.
- Madigan Finishes Strong… Posts 2 Top 10s in Last 2 Starts What was shaping up as a so-so year in his second season on the eGolf Professional Tour…
- Tim Madigan Returns to Web.com Performance in Q School Final Stage Wins Eligibility for First 12 Events New Mexico’s Tim Madigan is returning to the Web.com Tour thanks to a…
- Madigan Clears First Stage of… 23-year-old advances to Stage 2 qualifying in November Rio Rancho's Tim Madigan advanced to the second stage of Web.com Tour qualifying with a 3-under final…
- Tim Madigan Exempt from Local… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) April 29, 2011 -- Rio Rancho's Tim Madigan can skip U.S. Open local qualifying this year by virtue of a No. 43 world…
- Rio Rancho's Madigan to Turn… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Sept. 12, 2011 -- Former New Mexico State University all-WAC standout Tim Madigan turns professional at this week's Santa Ana Star Casino New…