Three-time Defending Champion Greg Condon Absent from Field
The New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship kicks off today without its defending champion, Greg Condon of Monta Vista, Col., but the field contains some names New Mexico golf fans will recognize.
Albuquerque Men's City Champion In The Field
Greg Yellin, Albuquerque Men's City Champion Simon Miller, Javier and Alex Delgadillo, and Anton Salamone.
It is not known whether COVID-19 has had any effect on the field of one of the first high-profile amateur competitions to resume following the Coronavirus lockdown.
3 Time NMWTA Champion Greg Condon Will Not Defend His Title
Condon is a three-time champion. His trip to the Horizon Club, the championship venue east of El Paso, Texas, would have entailed more than 500 miles of travel each way.
Condon apparently opted to skip the event, which Sun Country Amateur Golf Association had hoped would attract more golfers from the El Paso area.
SCAGA covers New Mexico and El Paso County, Texas. The full field can be found here.
Condon won the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur three times, most recently in 2019 at Paako Ridge Golf Course where he had won previously. By virtue of his 2019 New Mexico-West Texas Amateur win, Condon also earned an automatic selection to represent the Sun Country Amateur Golf Association in the 2019 Pacific Coast Amateur.
Past PGA Winners of This Event
Past winners New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship, such as Tommy Armour III, Bart Bryant, Rich Beem, D.J. Brigman and others who have since won more than $30 million on professional tours.
In all, 63 golfer will compete on the Horizon Club golf course, one of New Mexico and West Texas's best golf courses.
Longtime Sun Country PGA professional Luis Delgadillo is the head professional at Horizon, where newcomer Lee Trevino once faced off against Raymond Floyd is an epic match decades ago.
From the tips, the Horizon Club plays 6,886 yards with a par or 70 and a stroke rating of 72.6 and a slope of 128.
By New Mexico Golf News staff
- Day 1: New Mexico-West… First Round at the Horizon Club Largely an All-El Paso Affair Michael Salazar of El Paso was the leader after Day 1 of the New…
- New Mexico-West Texas… The Sun Country Amateur Golf Association starts the 2020 competitive golf season with its most prestigious event, the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship. The 44th…
- Day 2: New Mexico-West… Five Strokes Separate the Top Six Players Former NMSU Aggie golfer Ryo Harada leads the New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship going into Sunday's final round…
- Condon Wins 3rd SCAGA Title Fifty-seven-year-old Greg Condon of Monte Vista, Col., won the 2019 New Mexico- West Texas Amateur Sunday at Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club. It was his third…
- Salazar Wins New… El Pasoan Posts a blistering 5-under on the Back Nine Michael Salazar of El Paso won the 2020 New Mexico-West Texas Amateur Championship Sunday afternoon…