WGHOF Inductees Announced
Updated Oct. 10, 2018: Retief Goosen, Jan Stephenson, Billy Payne, Peggy Kirk Bell and Dennis Walters were announced as World Golf Hall of Famers. None of the three finalists in the Veterans category garnered the required 12 of 16 votes to be inducted this year.)
The World Golf Hall of Fame & Museum near St. Augustine, Fla., has named 15 finalists who will be considered for enshrinement in 2019.
The list of finalists includes men and women representing four different countries, and consists of candidates from the following four categories: Male Competitor, Female Competitor, Lifetime Achievement and Veterans.
The inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame will be decided on Oct. 10 and
enshrinement will occur on June 10, 2019, the Monday before the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach Golf Links.
Here's the list by category
of finalists for the 2019 class of the World Golf Hall of Fame (New Mexico Golf News picks are highlighted in bold):
Male Competitor (4)
Retief Goosen, South Africa
Graham Marsh, Australia
Corey Pavin, United States
Hal Sutton, United States
Female Competitor (5)
Susie Maxwell Berning, United States
Beverly Hanson, United States
Sandra Palmer, United States
Dottie Pepper, United States
Jan Stephenson, Australia
Lifetime Achievement (3)
Peggy Kirk Bell, United States
Billy Payne, United States
Dennis Walters, United States
Jim Ferrier, Australia
Catherine Lacoste, France
Calvin Peete, United States
Click here to download a bio and list of accomplishments for each finalist.
Who Decides Who Gets into the World Golf Hall of Fame?
The list of finalists was decided by an initial selection subcommittee of 20 people, including six World Golf Hall of Fame members: Donna Caponi Byrnes, Juli Inkster, Hale Irwin, Nick Price, Curtis Strange and Karrie Webb.
Another committee of 16 people co-chaired by World Golf Hall of Fame members Nancy Lopez, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam will vote on the 15 finalists. Each finalist needs the votes of at least 12 of the 16 committee members to be inducted.
All living Hall of Fame Members also provided personal input to the selection committee.
To learn more about the World Golf Hall of Fame & Museum and the Induction process, visit www.worldgolfhalloffame.org.
- Golf News Briefs: Toptracer News Round-up for NM Golfers Hi-tech Toptracer at the Range Coming to a Range Near You (Someday): Toptracer. Yes, the ball-tracking technology seen on virtually…
- Wimberly Voted into… ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (March 3, 2011) -- Long-time New Mexico golf professional Guy Wimberly has been inducted into the PGA of America's Hall of Fame. Wimberly,…
- Tim Madigan Exempt… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) April 29, 2011 -- Rio Rancho's Tim Madigan can skip U.S. Open local qualifying this year by virtue of a No. 43 world…
- $1,800 UNM Annual… (ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) Dec. 14, 2011 – The University of New Mexico Championship Golf Course’s “everything-included” unlimited-play membership is back for 2012. The $1,800 annual membership…
- USGA Tweaks Open Exemptions (FAR HILLS, N.J.) Feb. 6, 2011 — The USGA tweaked U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open qualifying exemptions, with changes to be phased in over…